In contrast, however, St Roch of Montpellier cannot be dismissed based on dates of a specific plague event.In medieval times, the term "plague" was used to indicate a whole array of illnesses and epidemics.Racho was invoked for protection against storms and Bolle believes that his name was the basis of the name of this saint and of his patronage of plague-sufferers via a process of aphaeresis of the Old French word for a storm, tempeste, to -peste "plague".
Sixtus did not pursue the matter but left it to later popes to proceed with the canonization process.
His successor, Pope Gregory XIV (1590–1591), added Roch of Montpellier, who had already been memorialized in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for two centuries, to the Roman Catholic Church Martyrology, thereby fixing August 16 as his universal feast day.
We also have documentation that the body of Roch of Montpellier was in Voghera in 1469 and that it has been venerated since at least then.
There are also indications of a feast in his honor being celebrated in 1483 in the presence of his remains.
Numerous brotherhoods have been instituted in his honor.
He is usually represented in the garb of a pilgrim, often lifting his tunic to demonstrate the plague sore in his thigh, and accompanied by a dog carrying a loaf in its mouth.
Pope Alexander VI (1492–1503) built a church and a hospital in his honor.
Pope Paul III (1534–1549) instituted a confraternity of St. This was raised to an arch-confraternity in 1556 by Pope Paul IV; it still thrives today.
Saint Roch had not been officially recognized as yet, however.
In 1590 the Venetian ambassador at Rome reported back to the Serenissima that he had been repeatedly urged to present the witnesses and documentation of the life and miracles of San Rocco, already deeply entrenched in the Venetian life, because Pope Sixtus V "is strong in his opinion either to canonize him or else to remove him from the ranks of the saints"; the ambassador had warned a cardinal of the general scandal that would result if the widely venerated San Rocco were impugned as an impostor.
The magnificent 16th-century Scuola Grande di San Rocco and the adjacent church of San Rocco were dedicated to him by a confraternity at Venice, where his body was said to have been surreptitiously translated and was triumphantly inaugurated in 1485; We know for certain that the body of St.