A bridge was constructed (possibly by Josce de Dinan) at the foot of Broad Street, upstream of the ford, which then replaced the ford; its 15th-century replacement is the present-day Ludford Bridge.
The town is significant in the history of the Welsh Marches and neighbouring Wales.
The town is near the confluence of the rivers Corve and Teme.
The oldest part is the medieval walled town, founded in the late 11th century after the Norman conquest of England.
It is centred on a small hill which lies on the eastern bank of a bend of the River Teme.
Walter's son Roger de Lacy began the construction of Ludlow Castle on the crest of the hill about 1075, forming what is now the inner bailey. Mary Magdalene was built inside the walls, and by 1130 the Great Tower was added to form the gatehouse.
About 1170 the larger outer bailey was added to the castle.
A murage grant was next made in 1260 and renewed regularly over the next two centuries.
This time the grant was made by name to Geoffrey de Genevile, Lord of Ludlow.
The wide Mill and Broad Streets were added later, as part of a southern grid plan of streets and burgage plots filling the area bounded by Dinham, the new High Street market, Old Street and the Teme to the south.