The British carved a new district by the name Kaladagi.
The district included present-day Bijapur and Bagalkot districts.
The northern belt is a succession of low rolling uplands without much vegetation, gently rounded and falling into intermediate narrow valleys.
The city of Bijapur is the headquarters of the district, and is located 530 km northwest of Bangalore.
Bijapur is well known for the great monuments of historical importance built during the Adil Shahi dynasty.
Further south towards Badami and southwest to east by two lines of sandstone hills.
Further south towards Badami and southwest of Hunagund, the hills increase the number and the black soil gives way to the red There are 34 rain gauge stations in Bijapur District.
The Don River Valley has plains and consists of rich tracks of deep black soils stretching from west to east in the central part of the district.
Across the Krishna River is a rich plain crossed from west to east by two lines of sandstone hills.After the 1818 defeat of the Peshwa by the British in the Third Anglo-Maratha War, Bijapur passed into the hands of the British East India Company, and was assigned to the princely state of Satara.In 1848 the territory of Satara, along with Bijapur, was annexed to Britain's Bombay Presidency when the last ruler died without a male heir.Geographically, the district lies in the tract of the Deccan Plateaus.The lands of the district can be broadly divided into three zones: the northern belt consisting of the northern parts of Bijapur Taluks of Indi and Sindagi; the central belt consisting of Bijapur city; the southern belt consisting of the rich alluvial plains of the Krishna Rivers parted from the central belt by a stretch of barren Trap.By the late 13th century, the area had come under the influence of the Khalji Sultanate.