Milwaukee has three "founding fathers": Solomon Juneau, Byron Kilbourn, and George H. Solomon Juneau was the first of the three to come to the area, in 1818.He was not the first European settler (Alexis Laframboise settled a trading post in 1785) but founded a town called Juneau's Side, or Juneautown, that began attracting more settlers.The county seat of Milwaukee County, it is on Lake Michigan's western shore.
In competition with Juneau, Byron Kilbourn established Kilbourntown west of the Milwaukee River and made sure the streets running toward the river did not join with those on the east side.
This accounts for the large number of angled bridges that still exist in Milwaukee today. He claimed land to the south of the Milwaukee River, along with Juneautown, where he built a log house in 1834. The first large wave of settlement to the areas that would later become Milwaukee County and the City of Milwaukee began in 1835.
On September 17, 1835, the first election was held in Milwaukee; the number of votes cast was 39.
By 1840, the three towns had grown quite a bit, along with their rivalries.
Europeans had arrived in the Milwaukee area prior to the 1833 Treaty of Chicago.
French missionaries and traders first passed through the area in the late 17th and 18th centuries.
Alexis Laframboise, in 1785, coming from Michilimackinac (now in Michigan) settled a trading post; therefore, he is the first European descent resident of the Milwaukee region.
Early explorers called the Milwaukee River and surrounding lands various names: Melleorki, Milwacky, Mahn-a-waukie, Milwarck, and Milwaucki.
After the Revolutionary War, the Native Americans fought the United States in the Northwest Indian War as part of the Council of Three Fires.
During the War of 1812, they held a council in Milwaukee in June 1812, which resulted in their decision to attack Chicago in retaliation against American expansion.
Offering good locally sourced food, a calm and efficient approach to service, The George situates you in an ideal spot from which to discover the West Sussex coast and countryside and is only a five-minute drive from Goodwood racecourse.